Sunday, March 29, 2015

George Carlin in the National Portrait Gallery

So, the Public voted to put George Carlin onto the Recognize wall at the National Portrait Gallery (which is part of the Smithsonian). Here's the picture:

http://face2face.si.edu/.a/6a00e550199efb883301bb08100ae2970d-pi

When I heard, I was happy to know about it, though I was hoping for a very large, warmly hued oil painting of him in a t-shirt.

What I found out more recently is that this was based on voting between this image of him, and images or Ellen DeGeneres, and Groucho Marx. Now, I have enjoyed many of Carlin's albums for many years -- in fact, the first time I'd heard Class Clown for a long time, I was driving and had to pull over because I was laughing so hard that I couldn't keep my eyes open. Further, if I had to pick which of these images I liked the best, it would certainly be his.



However, it makes me sad that it's not Groucho, even though I don't much like that picture (and the one of Ellen looks like it's from some kind of ad). Here's my question: why do we have to choose one? Can't they all go up there? In fact, I think they should have a comedy wing. They already have Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Carl Reiner, and Harold Morris in Sneaking Through The Sound Barrier at the Air and Space Museum.


---


The places to hear from me:
Food – josh lubarr food stuff
Geekiness – geekiness(josh lubarr)
Movies – Old Movies and New with Josh Lubarr
Politics – Progressive Politics (per Josh Lubarr)
Silliness and comedy – Le Repository du Silliness, avec Josh Lubarr
Favorite movies – The Pantheon
Me generally – Josh Lubarr’s web site extraordinaire
Also also – Josh’s Part of lubarr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment